With the chili weather outside it's nice to have a hearty, hot stew to come home to. Paired with a crusty bread this meal is perfection!
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 pounds stewing beef, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine or port
- 2.5 cups beef stock
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Coat the beef pieces with the flour, salt and pepper.
- Place a deep pan on medium high heat. Add olive oil to the pan and brown beef pieces in batches.
- Remove the last batch of beef from the pan, set aside.
- Add more olive oil to the pan if needed. Add the onion and garlic. Stir until the onions are soft.
- Add the wine or port to deglaze the pan, using a spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the heat to high and boil the wine/port until reduced by 1/3.
- Add the beef back to the pan along with the beef stock and tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cover pan with a lid. Simmer the stew for one hour or until the beef is tender.
- Add the carrots and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley and serve immediately.