Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (28 fluid ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- handful fresh basil leaves (8-10 leaves)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 20 oz bag tortellini of your choice (cheese filled or meat filled)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese and extra chopped basil for topping (optional)
- Place large soup pot on medium heat, add olive oil.
- Saute onions until soft, stirring to avoid sticking to bottom.
- Add remaining ingredients up to sugar. Bring soup to a boil and stir until all ingredients are combined. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Bring soup to a simmer, add tortellini and cover pot. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until tortellini is cooked through.
- Add cream, stir and taste to see if salt or sugar needs to be added.
- Serve immediately with grated parmesan and extra basil.
- Once cooled store leftovers in Soup Master.