I'm sure you have heard it before - "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."
I, for one, cannot function without breakfast, even when I was on my high school swim team I had to have a banana or a handful of cereal before attending a grueling hour and a half swim workout. Then I would have a second breakfast before class (usually two chocolate chip muffins and a diet coke, not the best choice I know, but I earned it after all that exercise!).
So I was completely baffled by my 8 year old who consistently defied my attempts to serve her something for breakfast. If she was in an agreeable mood she would accept an apple, but that was it, definitely not enough sustenance for a busy morning at school. I wasn't ready to give in to my daughter, I knew I could find a way to get some healthy food into her and finally I did - a breakfast cookie!
My Breakfast Cookies for Picky Eaters are made with healthy ingredients such as spelt flakes, chia seeds, and pecans, these cookies are loaded with fibre, protein and iron, a great way to start your day. These delicious disks of goodness can be eaten on the run, or enjoyed warm straight out of the toaster oven with a cool glass of milk. Prepare the cookie dough on the weekend and store in your Smart Cookie in the freezer.
Now what kid, or grown up for that matter, wouldn't like to eat a fresh baked cookie for breakfast? I know I do, and thankfully my picky daughter does as well.
Breakfast Cookies For Picky Eaters
Makes: 24 cookies Prep time: 10 min Baking time: 8 - 10 min
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup rolled spelt flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate minichips
- 2 tbsps Chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium sized bowl combine flour, spelt flakes, baking powder, baking soda, and salt stir with a whisk; set aside.
- Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add vanilla and egg; beat until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until combined.
- Stir in pecans, minichips and chia seeds. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.
- Spread any remaining dough into The Smart Cookie™ to bake fresh for breakfast on the run.